Recently, the Apache Flex team released the latest version of Flex SDK: 4.10. This release came with a Linux installer for the first time since Adobe Flex Builder 3 alpha, several years ago. As a member of their user mailing list, I take part in certain discussions, often on the Linux support subject. It seems that users have difficulty installing the Flex SDK, even with the .deb (Debian software package) available on Apache Flex’s website. Taken from those discussions, here’s the easy way to install the Apache Flex SDK under Linux.
Flex SDK is best installed using the SDK Installer, which requires Adobe AIR 2.6. If you didn’t already know, installing Adobe AIR on Linux isn’t that easy, as it is not supported by Adobe anymore. The easiest way I have found is this one:
- If you’re using a 64-bit Linux system, install the ia32-libs (AIR is 32-bit only):
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
- Go here (http://update.devolo.com/linux/apt/pool/main/a/adobeair/) and download the AIR installer for 64-bit systems (amd64) or 32-bit (i386)
- Install the package you just downloaded:
sudo dpkg -i adobeair_184.108.40.20670_amd64.deb
You’re done with the installation of Adobe AIR.
Installing the SDK Installer
- Download the installer (.deb) here: http://flex.apache.org/installer.html
- Once you have downloaded the .deb, install it using dpkg (this command will force the installation, even if the AIR dependency is not resolved):
sudo dpkg -i --force-depends apache-flex-sdk-installer-2.6.0-bin.deb
- Once the installer has been installed (you might encounter several warnings and errors, just ignored them), open a terminal and go the installation folder:
cd "/opt/Apache Flex/Apache Flex SDK Installer/bin"
- Run the installer:
./Apache Flex SDK Installer
- Now you just need to decide where you want the SDK to be installed, and you’re good. Everything should go smoothly.
Uninstalling the SDK Installer
I really suggest that you uninstall the SDK Installer (but not the SDK, of course!) when you’re done, because it will cause you all sorts of errors with apt-get in the future. Errors that look like this:
org.apache.flex.installapacheflex:i386 : PreDepends: adobeair:i386 (>= 1:220.127.116.11) but it is not installable E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
This can be done very easily with the following command:
sudo apt-get -f install
As always, feel free to ask any question you might have, I’ll do my best to answer them. Have fun developing with Apache Flex and Linux!