Ubuntu: Activate multi-touch on Elantech touchpad

Acer Aspire S7-392-9890

Acer Aspire S7-392-9890 13.3-Inch Touchscreen Ultrabook (Intel Core i7-4500U Processor, 8GB DDR3L, 256GB SSD)

If like me you recently bought a new computer with an Elantech touchpad, and installed Ubuntu on it, chances are your touchpad lacks the multitouch features, and therefore, you can’t scroll with it. This is extremely annoying to most of us. Tonight, I went back to Ubuntu bug page to realize someone has submitted a fix, and it seems to be working for many users. Just tried it on my Acer Aspire S7, and it worked perfectly for me too. So let me share it with you…

Make sure you have an Elantech touchpad

First, if you aren’t sure your computer was built with an Elantech touchpad, open a terminal, and type the following:

cat /proc/bus/input/devices

You should find a block containing a line looking like this one, which confirms you are on an Elantech touchpad:

N: Name="ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad"

Fix the bug

Download this archive (from Ubuntu’s bug reporting page).

Open a terminal, and follow these steps (after step 4, you will have no mouse at all):

cd ~/Downloads
sudo dkms ldtarball psmouse-elantech-x551c.tar.gz
sudo dkms install -m psmouse -v elantech-x551c
sudo rmmod psmouse
sudo modprobe psmouse

Enjoy multitouch!

Source: Original bug discussion on Launchpad

116 Comments

1. Perfect! just what I needed for my new Asus laptop, thanks a lot buddy, scrolling with 2 fingers is much easier than having to grab the scroll bar all the time!

2. This worked for my Lenovo Ideapad Z710. My mouse was detected slightly differently,

Name=”PS/2 Elantech Touchpad”

instead of

Name=”ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad”

but other than that difference, worked like a charm. Thank you!!!!

3. This worked like a charm for a Sony Vaio Fit 13a

4. WOW!!!
    It is working. I was loosing hope to make it work on my Lenovo Ideapad Z510, but now I have two fingers scroll and disable while typing…a new world.

thanks a lot.

• Matt

June 26, 2014 at 8:15 am

Good news! I’m glad it solved your problem. Thanks for your comment as it might bring more users here, and help them as well.

5. Worked on Lenovo ideapad S410. I can now scroll with 2 fingers. Thank you.

6. After long search finally I got the solution here !!
    Thanks its working fine in my lenovo Z510 (ubuntu 14.04) laptop.

7. I have an Asus Trio TX201LA and I’m trying to get around the problem of the multitouch not working on Ubuntu Gnome.
    So far no good. I didn’t originally have dkms installed so it took me a while to understand that it was missing and that I had to install with apt-get.
    It worked and all was well until I got this syntax error “bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'”. It appears every time I (try to) run the command “sudo dkms install -m psmouse -v elantech-x551”.
    Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong and how I could fix this?

• Matt

July 16, 2014 at 10:47 am

Hi. The message near unexpected token 'newline' suggests there may be a newline (line change or n if you prefer) in the command you are trying to execute, and it should probably be removed. I’m not sure I can really help you more than that, but I would strongly suggest you create an account at http://ubuntuforums.org/, and ask for help. There are dozens of very skillful people there.

• Will do. Thanks for the input !

• At last, it’s working! I reckoned that since the problem stemmed from a syntax error, I might as well remove “”: I believe introduces a new line that’s what was causing the error. Once I did that, it all worked fine. So thanks a lot for your tutorial!

Just a couple of questions : the fix doesn’t persist across reboots, like Vijay, and I can’t use three fingers, which is a shame as my touchpad allows for ten-point multitouch with one-, two- and three-finger combinations. Any thoughts on that?

• Matt

July 16, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Did you try Vijay’s solution:

I have just fixed it by adding adding these two commands to /etc/rc.local

• I don’t have this folder. I do have folders named rc0.d all the way up to rc6.d but I’m not good enough to fiddle with these. I’ll ask on the Ubuntu forum.

• rc.local isn’t a folder, it’s a file.
            Just type the following into the terminal

sudo gedit /etc/rc.local

an add the lines

sudo rmmod psmouse
            sudo modprobe psmouse

and you should be fine 😉

8. This does not work for me.. I have an ASUS X5551ca..

9. Works also on Lenovo Y50!

10. When is activated in my laptop (Lenovo G50-70) dosen’t work the right button of the touchpad. What can I do?

• Also on a G50-70, in addition to not having my right mouse button working, I need to re-run the last 2 terminal commands every time I reboot for the driver to load properly.

• Matt

October 8, 2014 at 8:15 am

Hi. Please read the comments, you’ll probably find your answer as several people have had the same problem before.

• I am using Lenovo G50-70.
        Added the two lines in /etc/rc.local file. Now multii-touch persists through reboots.

Reg right click, tap with both fingers and the right click menu opens.

• More magic !!
          Double Tap with 3 fingers – Open switcher
          Single Tap with 4 fingers – Open dash
          Pinch in & out – Zoom in & zoom out

• This ruined multitouch on my G50-70. Got it back (but only with two fingers, for some reason), but still no right click. :/

• Multitouch stopped working by this. Scrolling and right click back by using the x551c but now three-finger and four-finger touch is not working. Any solution around that?

11. Worked for me as well, after many searches, thanks a lot.
    Yet, 3 fingers to drag a window, doesn’t work. I think it worked a year ago, last time i used Ubuntu? Any way to set it up? thanks again. Avi.

12. Initially it worked but after updating the kernel to 3.13.0-35-generic multi touch is not working any idea why it is happening ? or any work around ?
    I am using lenovo Z510 ubuntu 14.04

13. Finally worked! =) thanks a lot! Really appreciated!

14. Awesome! finally got it working. after spending HOURS!!

15. Thank you so much. Worked perfectly for my Lenovo G40 laptop. Finally I have multitouch scrolling 🙂

16. david k portland or

September 24, 2014 at 1:26 am

After 3 hours of searching, and installing god knows how many “solutions”, I found this. WORKED PERFECTLY!!!!! Thank you very much for posting this.

Just bought my Lenovo U530 from best buy and all it needed was some good ole ubuntu 14.04 and to get the touchpad two finger scrolling to work .

Hope others find this post faster than I did!! Ubuntu 14.04 touchpad not synaptics or synaptik . touchscreen multi gesture trackpad touchpad mouse scrolling for a small keyword assist.

THANKs AGAIN ! ! ! ! !

17. Can-t this to work, dkms gives an error command not found. What to i do?

18. Worked for me, great! Only problem is that this lovely fix disappears after restart. Any way to make it more permanent?

19. i was missing multi-touch since i bought this new laptop
    worked like a charm on my lenovo g50-70
    thanks a lot

20. THANKS A LOT!!!!
    Worked perfectly on my Acer V5-171-6832 with Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS.
    Two-fingers scrolling vertically and horizontally, AND right button working just fine!

21. Error : Bash syntax error neae unexpected toke newline. I read your solutiom But i not understand Who implements. Please explain easily. Thanks an help me

• Matt

October 14, 2014 at 8:37 pm

You probably copied a newline character. Try again, but make sure to only do one command at a time. I’m pretty sure it’s going to work. If it doesn’t, I suggest you submit a detailed question on the Ask Ubuntu forums.

• sudo dkms install -m psmouse -v elantech-x551c

i put that. same error. thanks

• Matt

October 15, 2014 at 8:27 am

The error you describe usually happens when a newline character is pasted into the command line. I’m sorry but I can’t help you further. Please look at the Ask Ubuntu Forums (http://askubuntu.com/), I’m pretty sure someone there will be able to help you.

22. I confirm this is working in a new Lenovo m30 70. Thank you very much!

23. The new kernel ubuntu 3.18 multitouch enabled my ETPS / 2 Elantech Touchpad with zoom photos, vertical and horizontal scrolling with two fingers like in windows 8

24. Prayash Mohapatra

October 26, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Superb!
    Worked perfect for my Lenovo z50

25. I luv the Acer Aspire S7 too but Ubuntu 14.xx won’t do 2-finger Pinch-to-Zoom in the browser.

26. I tried this to get pinch zoom to work, but it didn’t. Nothing changed basically.

on a Lenovo ideapad u330p.

27. Thank you so much for the (succint) solution!

For anyone wondering, in the third line: “sudo dkms install -m psmouse -v elantech-x551c”
    You shouldn’t copy the “” with it!

28. Thanks a lot.. My right button for touch pad was not working. Now i can adjust it with multi touch option.

In windows, i have an option to move back and forward with 3 fingure multi touch. but Ubuntu does not allow me to do so. Is there any configuration need to do so?

29. Thanks a lot !
    sudo dkms install -m psmouse -v elantech-x551c
    sudo dkms install -m psmouse -v elantech-x551c juste like this work fine for me !
    Remove the end

30. Change the end only ! symbol dont work in this comment…

31. Mod made on Lenovo G50 i5 Ubuntu + Windows 8.1

32. Worked like a charm after I installed `dkms` (sudo apt-get dkms) and removed the new line symbol from the end of line 3. You’re a wizard.

33. I have proved it in my lenovo g50-70 notebook and it work fine, thanks very much!

34. Thanks for the instruction. Also works for Lenovo B50-45.
    My config:

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0001 Version=0000
    N: Name=”PS/2 Elantech Touchpad”
    P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input6
    U: Uniq=
    H: Handlers=mouse0 event5
    B: PROP=0
    B: EV=7
    B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0
    B: REL=3

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    Thomas

35. Thanks so much! Worked like a charm on my Lenovo Y50 🙂

36. Worked! Thanks so much

37. Wonderful – worked great on a new Lenovo Flex 2-14!

38. It worked like a charm on my Lenovo G40-30 thanks

39. hi. i have followed this guide and the scroll now is working but the right click (or key) is not work!! what i will do?! (sorry for my english..i’m italian)

40. not working on my lenovo z510 (i7)…although in the comment thread i read it worked for someone else….please help..
    all commands work properly…and the file is installed but no change in touchpad after the steps…

41. Worked in Deepin for me as well. Thank you!

EasyNote entg17bm

42. Thx man helped a lot – Lenovo Y50-70 Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
    Any Idea on wifi card issues ?
    Best
    Jerry

• Matt

February 11, 2015 at 8:13 am

Pretty much depends on the wify adapter. To find out what your adapter is, use this in the terminal:
      lspci -v

Then Google, AskUbuntu or the Ubuntu Forums should give you the answers you need. Have you tried activating restricted drivers? Instructions on how to do that are very easy to find. Hope this helps!

43. This works perfectly on my Acer Aspire ES1-711-P1UV, I had tried this one time before with no success due to the fact that I must have turned off the touchpad using: FN+F7 at some point and did not realize it. No reboot required, after rmmod and modprobe, I now have touchpad settings in my System Settings -> Mouse & Touchpad, which did not show up before this tutorial (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS).

I appreciate your help, thanks so much. Now on to the Bluetooth… 🙂

44. Worked for Lenovo Z40. However, the right-click button doesn’t work anymore. I also need to repeat the last two commands per reboot.

45. The fix works for me, but when i tried to tackle the issue of having to do those commands every time I log in, I ran into a problem: I can’t change rc.local. I did chmod a+w rc.local and it says its read and write now, but when I gedit it and try to save, it says backup file can’t be created and it won’t let me save…

46. Thank you very much. you dont know what have you done for me

47. Working on a Lenovo Y-50 and it did the job perfectly, thanks!

48. Thanks a lot! Worked on Xubuntu on my VAIO Flip!

49. Hi,

it worket with the lenovo B50-30. But I have to do the last commands every time I reboot. Is there a way for multitoucht all the time?

50. Worked like a charm on my Lenovo Z50-70. Thanks a ton.

51. Hi,
    I run you commands and the multitouch feature gets enabled but the right click button stopped working. I don’t know how to enable it. Please help

• Matt

March 10, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Hi. I suggest you visit Ubuntu Forums or Ask Ubuntu, and post as much technical details as you can. There are experts there that will be able to help you.

52. After so much searching and suffering this worked! I’m on a Sony Vaio 13 (SVF13) and I finally have multi-touch features! Even the double finger tap right-click is working. Thank you so much.

53. This works on my Lenovo S200 netbook and Linux Mint 17.1. However, it doesn’t always work at reboot. Is there a mechanism to ensure persistence?

• Matt

May 20, 2015 at 9:56 am

Hi. Thanks for your comment. Please take a look at others comments, many people have had the same problem, and the solution has been found if I remember correctly.

54. broo.. why on my lptop not work? help please
    my lptop acer e5-471
    btw thanks… 🙂

• Matt

May 25, 2015 at 10:29 am

Hi. I can’t really help you directly, but I would strongly suggest you go to Ubuntu Forums, and ask for help there. Be as precise as you can when asking your question as it will help people help you.

55. hey , man really thanks ,,
    working for my LENOVO B40-70

56. Sergey Lakhnov

August 6, 2015 at 6:17 am

don’t work at my Asus K52JK . My touchpad die above 3-d step 🙁
    propertys:
    – Kubuntu 15.04
    – devices:

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=000e Version=0000
    N: Name=”ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad”
    P: Phys=isa0060/serio4/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/input/input12
    U: Uniq=
    H: Handlers=mouse1 event7
    B: PROP=9
    B: EV=b
    B: KEY=e420 0 30000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    B: ABS=2608000 11000003

57. Sergey Lakhnov

August 6, 2015 at 7:50 am

upd
    after reboot all WORKED!!! THNX!!!

58. only two finger are working in accer e 15

59. After installing this external keyboard and mouse are not detecting, every time i have to run the following command sudo apt-get install –reinstall xserver-xorg-input-all , Any solution for this??

60. hey did everything as you said and nothing changed am i missing something else ?

61. Asus x55VD.. Wi-Fi SLax OS… :(( Deal with it..
    MOUSECLICK2…

62. Yiss, it worked! Perfect, thanks!

63. Brilliant! Thanks so much!

64. my laptop is hp 15-ab102tx
    it does not work for me
    it’s ps2/Elantech keypad

65. Acer Aspire 5750 – your fix didn’t work but I noticed a reply above saying press “Fn and F7 keys”. I pressed Fn + F7 together and Touchpad works! Anyone who has problems should try this! Thanks for your help.

66. Amanpreet Singh

January 30, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Hey Matt im using a lenovo g50-80 windows 7 laptop. In my cmd it says ‘cat’ is not recognized as an internal or external operable program or batch file.Can u help me with it?

• Matt

February 5, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Hi Amanpreet

Those instructions are for Linux only, and “cat” doesn’t no exist on Windows. I recommend you visit Lenovo’s website to find the latest drivers for Windows 7.

67. Worked like charm.
    I have been searching alot to find a solution.

68. I get the following error trying to install, so there seems to be an error in the code although lots of people could report successful installations; could anybody give some hints or help?

CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-x551c/build/src/cypress_ps2.o
    /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-x551c/build/src/cypress_ps2.c: In function ‘cypress_process_packet’:
    /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-x551c/build/src/cypress_ps2.c:543:2: error: too few arguments to function ‘input_mt_assign_slots’
    input_mt_assign_slots(input, slots, pos, n);
    ^
    In file included from /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-x551c/build/src/cypress_ps2.c:25:0:
    ./include/linux/input/mt.h:121:5: note: declared here
    int input_mt_assign_slots(struct input_dev *dev, int *slots,
    ^
    scripts/Makefile.build:289: die Regel für Ziel „/var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-x551c/build/src/cypress_ps2.o“ scheiterte
    make[1]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-x551c/build/src/cypress_ps2.o] Fehler 1
    Makefile:1643: die Regel für Ziel „psmouse.ko“ scheiterte
    make: *** [psmouse.ko] Fehler 2
    make: Verzeichnis „/usr/src/linux-headers-4.8.0-rc1-custom“ wird verlassen

69. its failing in my case with error:
    Building module:
    cleaning build area….
    make KERNELRELEASE=4.4.0-36-generic -C /lib/modules/4.4.0-36-generic/build M=/var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-x551c/build/src psmouse.ko……(bad exit status: 2)
    ERROR (dkms apport): binary package for psmouse: elantech-x551c not found
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.4.0-36-generic (x86_64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-x551c/build/make.log for more information.

kernel version is:4.4.0-36-generic
    and using ubuntu 14.04
    please help.

70. Worked for me also…gr8 ubuntu

71. Same failure to dkms build that Imperator reported on Aug 19. Using kernel 4.4.0-51 in Ubuntu 16.04. I will go hunting for an updated patch and report back if I find it…