After trying to install Diablo 3 on my Hackintosh from and original DVD an failing (it installed fine but the game won’t start), I decided to look for an Ubuntu solution. This is when I learned about PlayOnLinux, a Wine graphic user interface that makes installation of Windows programs very easy. So here’s a VERY EASY guide to install Diablo 3 on Ubuntu with online installation files.
- Make sure your game is correctly registered in your Battle.net account
- Download the Diable 3 Game Client (for Windows) from that same account
- Open the Ubuntu Software Center
- Search for PlayOnLinux and install it (this might take a while)
- Start PlayOnLinux, and complete the basic configuration steps (mostly automatic)
- Click on the Install button, and select the Testing category in the menu on the left
- Select Diablo 3, click install, and follow the instructions
- Complete the download/install process
- You’re done! Enjoy Diablo 3 on Ubuntu!
Note: I had a little resolution glitch when first started the game. Changing the resolution from the login screen inside the game fixed it.
Other note: the guys at PlayOnLinux say they will support the DVD install method soon.
If you’re using Ubuntu 12.04, and experience the connection error #3007 over and over, here’s a solution that seems to work. Before connection, open a terminal and type this command:
echo 0|sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope
This solution comes from that thread in PlayOnLinux forums. Please let us know if it works for you or not.